Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I hate modern society.

I'm sorry for the moodiness of this article, I'm just fed up with school. I mean, I hate how everything is all technology-ridden nowadays. I mean, my parents are able to check my grades every single day because it's all online. My homework is all online. My vocabulary lists are all online. With most of this going around, I am not handed the worksheets; I am handed the website to go to. I swear, I'm sick of staring at a screen just to do my freaking homework. I remember in elementary school in the early-mid 2000's that the computer was a privilege, but we still went on it daily. To take tests, to learn typing, to play games, even. Also, there's this new TV channel which basically will put all preschools out of business. It's super annoying and I think that if this technology crap keeps up, all of society will be doing nothing but staring at screens all day by the time I'm 30. Back in 1968, when Hillrise was built, things were much simpler. Computers were so big and expensive that only top companies used them. The only screen you stared at was the television set to watch programs like Rowan and Martin's Laugh In or Family Feud. But that only took up some of your time. Because unlike today, where we have 9,000 TV channels, back in the 1970's you only had seven. Sounds like torture to not have Glee or Jersey Shore or CSI, or even a cell phone or Facebook, but I'm telling you, that would be my dream life. I mean, for crying out loud, just call the person! I spend so much freaking time on Facebook and on my phone that sometimes I wish it didn't exist. But with everyone having one, I can't give it up cold turkey. I mean, in 1968, there were no flat-screens or cell phones. There was no such thing as a remote controller until the 1980s. There was a large TV set and a normal phone. Grades came in through the mail every 10 weeks. There was no online system. There was barely any crime (in Hillrise anyway, because back then, Hillrise was the only neighborhood out there) so I could walk around without my parents going freaky on me. I could even ride a HORSE to school. How cool would that be?! Sadly, I can't because of suburbia. While my town is small, it is still busy and chock-full of cars and motorcycles. The creek that once flowed through Hillrise is now a man-made concrete dump. You could no longer wander across empty fields because people had built on those fields. (Hillrise is the only neighorhood with ANY open space nowadays! It's so sad.) And with those overrated houses next to Hillrise that once used to be a park, Hillrise is often labeled as 'old' 'small' or-my ultimate cracking point-an 'eyesore'. Even those who live there (that are my age) find it to be a 'creaky old p.o.s.' I swear I will set them straight and kick them so far out of Hillrise that they'll travel to Jupiter. I think that they're just trying to push my buttons, but still, that is not OK. Hillrise still is brand new to me, and still is a happy-go-lucky piece of heaven. I mean, Hillrise is WAY sturdier than those crappy, newer homes. People actually want to STAY there. Most people, when they first move to my town, move to one of the very first neighborhoods in the area-and that includes Hillrise. But they eventually abandon their plans to move to a bigger house. Why? Because Hillrise has a personality, unlike most neighborhoods. I'm sick of people tearing down the nostalgic wooden garages and wood paneling and covering it with stucco. When I get a Hillrise Home of my own, I'm keeping it as 1970 as possible. Even in my own house, my dad tore down the nostalgic wallpaper and lamps and replaced it with-get ready for this-recessed lighting. I hate the recessed lights in my room-as well as the modern light switches and electrical outlets. My house didn't even come with a light in my room! I wish I could buy one of those lamps with 5 bendy heads that look like flowers. The recessed lighting does not feel right at ALL. It is really annoying. Also, my dad wants to replace my shower, which has been in my bathroom since 1972. Plus, the shower and the drain are aging rather fast so I have NO choice. I'm really going to miss the Hillrise flair it came with.
Basically, my point being, times were much simpler back in the 1960s and I think that all this modern online crap and Hillrise-bashing a-holes should just jump in a lake!
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment