Friday, February 25, 2011

Happy (Almost) Birthday, Hillrise!

Well, the days of Hillrise being age 42 are quickly coming to an end, and in just a day, my little Hillrise will be 43 years old-wow, I remember when I threw it a party for its 40th birthday. I said, '40 Years of Happiness, 40 Years of Hillrise!' For those who have spent those 43 years with Hillrise are in disbelief that it has been 43 years already. Being by Hillrise's side for almost four years, I'm in disbelief that it turned 43 myself. Yep, this Saturday marks the day that 43 years ago Barclay Hollander Curci first broke ground on what would be a piece of heaven known as Hillrise. Ahh, if only I was there during its first, second, and third birthdays in 1969, 1970 and 1971. Times were so much simpler. But anyway, I can't wait to celebrate my Hillrise's big day! I'm buying some cake mix, some balloons, and of course, it's birthday gift! The perk about this year is that it will snow-yes, SNOW-in Hillrise! It hasn't snowed here since Hillrise's birthday in 1989. Back then, Hillrise was turning age 21. it also snowed all the time in Hillrise's toddler years, so I think the snowfall will bring back some pleasant memories back for Hillrise and the people who have lived there since Hillrise was a toddler. In fact, one of the former model homes is being re-painted just for Hillrise's birthday. I don't know what color they will paint it, but I'm hoping it stays its reddish-burgundy color, since Hillrise is so unique. We're repaintng our house this year, but my dad din't want to do it for Hillrise's birthday-and the poor thing really wanted that for its birthday. Don't get me wrong, I love the paint and color of my Hillrise Home, but the paint is peeling and faded. It's sad to see my own Hillrise Home in this condition-it's like seeing someone you deeply care about very sick. I'm hoping that the paint can be fixed this year. But what we did get it for its birthday is a paint job for one of the bedrooms and 43 flowers to be planted in the community garden! Doesn't sound like much, but they were on Hillrise's wish list. Anything for Hillrise is a huge effort for me. I have to work extra hard for Hillrise. Why? I love it and I will do anything for it.
Whitney
Oh, P.S. Happy Birthday Hillrise!

No comments:

Post a Comment