Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Senses of Community!

You all know Hillrise, right? Well, tonight was the homeowners association meeting. I brought up the ideas of a community picnic and a block party...you know, some actives for Hillrise residents. Well, apparently nobody comes to them because they don't give a crap. Only three homeowners were at the association meeting (no onder they have them once a year) Things weren't this way for Hillrise back in the 60s and 70s. There were community picnics, barbecues, even Octoberfest. Everyone attended. You could find kids n every corner of every block. Everyone attended homeowners association meetings. Hillrise was even featured in movies and TV shows like Matt Houston. (Ask your parents what that is if you don't know.) Bob Hope and Elvis had even filmed some scenes in Hillrise! But in the 80s and 90s (when i was born) the kids were growing up and moving away, and my town began to suburbanize. My hometown, a snooty, rich city with huge houses, was also constructed and Hillrise was left behind in the dust. I felt bad upon hearing this, because Hillrise deserves better. It is a nostalgic, witty place with a lot to share. Although more younger couples moved into Hillrise around the tiem I was born, those people do not share the spirit of Hillrise. They ignore the friendly invites. They throw away the notices for community picnics. I plan to change that by talking to some neighbors of mine, but I'm scared that the community sense around Hillrise is fading away. I really wish people were closer to Hillrise. I'm one, and many others love Hillrise. Don;t get me wrong, people love Hillrise. I just wish they'd show it.
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment